Locate A Lawyer
Tips to find and hire a lawyer:
- Find a lawyer with whom you will feel comfortable both professionally and personally. Your case may require you to share personal information with your lawyer. For your lawyer to help you with your case effectively, they may need to know confidential information and details about you, your family, or your finances.
- Seek recommendations from people you trust such as family, friends, a religious adviser, or a mentor. This can be one of the best ways to find a lawyer.
- Make sure the lawyer you hire has experience in the same field as your case. The type of lawyer you will want to hire will be based on the nature of your problem. You will generally not want to hire a lawyer who specializes in bankruptcy cases to help you with your personal injury case.
- Once you begin screening prospective attorneys, one of the first things you should ask them is how much experience they have concerning your particular legal matter.
- You should find out if the attorney carries malpractice insurance.
- Ask the attorney how he or she will keep you informed about the status of your case or issue.
- Request a preliminary outline of how the attorney feels the case should be taken care of and a basic time frame for it to be completed.
- Find out how much they believe you will be required to participate in your case, if at all.
- Ask if the attorney will provide you with an itemized fee agreement that will list the attorney's fees, expenses, billing, and payments at the conclusion of the case.
- Finally, ask for a preliminary estimate of the lawyer's total fee.
- After you have had your first meeting with your prospective attorney, you should ask yourself if you feel comfortable working with this attorney. Do you feel confident that the attorney has experience and the know· how to handle your case? Do you understand and feel comfortable with the proposed fee agreement?